Thursday, March 25, 2010

Little Things

Here is a devotional message that I delivered a while ago at the morning update brief at HQs, US Army Central Command in Kuwait. I don't usually do the morning "Word for the Day" but my boss called me that morning saying he had a severe headache and wanted to know whether I could cover for him.

“I had a commander, once, who used to say that ‘Superior organizations do routine things routinely well.” Doing great things, amazing things or tremendously difficult things and succeeding makes for great stories, medals and evaluation reports. The capacity to do those great things, however, comes from the commitment to routinely attend to details of readiness and sustainment, and the ability to maintain that commitment over time.
“The same is true in matters of faith. Taking regular times for prayer and meditation, for Scripture reading and for worship doesn’t bring public recognition or professional advancement, but it gives us the moral and spiritual fortitude – the readiness – to face and overcome the challenges of our lives.
“As Mother Theresa of Calcutta said, “Be faithful in the little things, because it is in them that your strength lies.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am responsible for the comments and information that appears on my blog. Therefore I have elected to moderate all comments, to ensure that this blog maintans an appropriate tone of dignity, respect and propriety. My goal is not to filter out people whose opinions differ from mine, only to filter out those comments whose manner of expression is so unedifying that I don't choose to give them a forum for publication. All people may have the freedom to express themselves as they wish, but I don't have to facilitate inappropriate communications on my blog; people can express themselves somewhere else.