Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Bishop's Special Miter


As many of you know, bishops wear different-colored miters for different seasons of the Christian year: white for Christmas and Easter, green for Kingdomtide/Ordinary Time, purple for Lent, purple or blue for Advent, red for Pentecost.

Since Bishop David Epps' collection of miters and copes is incomplete, my family decided that at the annual parish Christmas party at the Cathedral of Christ the King in Sharpsburg, GA we would present him with a miter for a very important season that he is lacking - "football season." Bishop Epps hails from the great state of Tennessee and is an avid fan of the Tennessee Volunteers. Therefore the Landon family decided to present Bishop Epps with a miter in his beloved orange and white.

This is only the second miter that we have made. I wrote out the pattern and instructions, and Becky and Denise did the cutting and sewing. It turned out a little snug for Bishop David, but we have challenged him to wear it at the next provincial convocation. We'll see how he does there - the Archbishop's an Alabaman fan!

4 comments:

  1. This appears to elevate football to the level of a sacred event. I know the spirit in which you gifted him the miter was in fun, but it strikes me as inappropriate

    ReplyDelete
  2. KMK, I can appreciate and respect the concern you have. That kind of is the joke, though... In the South, there really is a devotion to football that is barely short of religious. I'd rather undercut that trend by poking fun at it than try to argue with the football devotees about it. Let's each oppose the trend in our own way. Though we might disagree on methods, I think we might agree on the goal anyway - that Christ be joyfully exalted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Fr. Jonathan
    I loved the miter. What else can I say. It was so appropriate for Bishop David. He just glowed with laughter.
    Who else but you would have thought of doing that. Dennis and I sat with your sweet family during our Christmas dinner at church and had a great time of fellowship with them. Upon the presentation there was much laughter and clapping. No one in our church family were offended. God has a great sense of humor - look around at all the people. Ha Ha. Miss your smiling face. Becky is looking great and your family are missing you at this awesome time of year. You are in my prayers that God will keep you safe and use you mightily in the lives of our military men. Donna Turner CTK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Donna, I'm glad that you liked it. I must confess that it wasn't ENTIRELY my idea. It came up in a conversation between Dcn Jason and me one day and I honestly can't remember who thought of it first.

    ReplyDelete

I am responsible for the comments and information that appears on my blog. Therefore I have elected to moderate all comments, to ensure that this blog maintans an appropriate tone of dignity, respect and propriety. My goal is not to filter out people whose opinions differ from mine, only to filter out those comments whose manner of expression is so unedifying that I don't choose to give them a forum for publication. All people may have the freedom to express themselves as they wish, but I don't have to facilitate inappropriate communications on my blog; people can express themselves somewhere else.